Xanadu Luxury Villas retreat in Zanzibar
A hidden tropical Gem
by guest writer, Kate Coleridge
Set along starboard, To East where Xanadu’s timeless story of coral stones and ancient dhow wood eloquently balances into tranquil notes and soft touches of luxury impeccably placed on the lush tropical coastline of Zanzibar’s pristine shores & surrounding islands.
Norwegian Zambian born Eileen and her maverick surfer husband from Durban Marcus, share a love of art and design. Together they had a successful company developing and furnishing beautiful houses in Zambia. Marcus travelled the world collecting bespoke art pieces and Eileen honed her skills in interior design. Later, their desire to escape the city, and be able to surf and scuba dive, led them to Unguja on the East coast of Zanzibar.
What was meant to be just a holiday home turned out to be what Xanadu is today – Luxury villas retreat in Zanzibar, head and shoulders above everything else on the island.
Eileen’s desire to build in unison with nature inspired her to use beautiful natural materials found on the island.
Xanadu’s walls are built from pink coral naturally occurring in the interior of the island, and the window frames and decking are wood from a sunken old trading dhow. As Eileen’s passion for the project grew, so the breathtaking Xanadu was created, with its amazing shapes and an overall feeling of tranquility and pared back luxury. The vision was big, some said too big, but the determined couple held steadfast to achieving their dream, and now inspire and entertain their guests with their phenomenal story.
This is our favourite Luxury villas retreat in Zanzibar.
Why stay at
Xanadu Luxury villas retreat in Zanzibar
- Intimate property with just 6 villas for a personalised discreet service
- Impressive architecture, beautiful tropical beach front setting
- Wide stretch of stunning white sandy beach
- Snorkelling, paddle boarding, kayaking, sunset dhow cruises and onsite spa
- Private butler service, five star all the way
- Caters for couples and families (no children under 5) with one and two bedroom villas
- One hour from Stone Town away from the hustle and bustle