Planning a family safari holiday?
Are you looking at new holiday ideas for your family in 2018? Why not head to Africa for a family safari holiday of a lifetime? Most children already know Africa’s animals fondly through exposure to colourful cartoons, bath toys, figurines, movies and more! So why not make their fantasy world a reality this year?
Whether you wish to safari in Africa in Easter, the June/July school holidays, September or indeed Christmas we can offer some outstanding family safari experiences that are tailored to suit you and your children.
For Christmas safaris, keep in mind specials are not usually valid over the primary Christmas period of 20 Dec – 2 January. However before and after this time there are great savings to be had.
We want to give you a few inspiring ideas here for family safari holidays to Africa.
South Africa with babies and tots
- Malaria Free areas so no tablets for little ones
- Fantastic diversity of wildlife
- Family friendly properties with nannies on call
- Safe accommodation so you don’t stress if your baby or toddler wanders
- Brilliant guides highly experienced at working with families
Top Five Properties
- Kapama Game Reserve (River Lodge in particular), in the Kruger region – families go on their own exclusive game drives, and rangers facilitate child-friendly activities, like spoor casting.
- Madikwe Safari Lodge where no age restriction applies, guides are great and accommodation spacious.
- Tswalu is outstanding with exclusive vehicle and guide for every booking, enormous rooms, great nannies available and meals designed around your family needs
- Kwandwe Game Reserve has exclusive use properties for larger families and there is no child age restriction for them. You get your own guide, vehicle, chef, butler and nanny.
- Chitwa Chitwa is outstanding with private guide and vehicle available, great rooms, brilliant service and Big Five
Safaris for In Betweens (5 – 12)
- Still your babies, kids at this age are far more inquisitive and want hands on interactions. So we love to recommend places that offer brilliant bush programs plus the usual creature comforts as a fall back distraction plan.
- Most properties allow children under the age of 12 to share with an adult. Keep in mind sometimes it’s taking a separate room if you have 2 kids because it would have to be 1 adult and 1 child per room. We rather find somewhere you can all be together.
- Think about moving between each location. Know your limits and that of kids. So if it’s 3 hours in a vehicle let us know and we plan accordingly to avoid melt downs.
- What about activities? Think about all the sorts of things you want kids to experience.
- Do you have a wish list of places to go? Let us know!
Top Five Properties/ Places
- Meno a Kwena, Botswana because here there is an amazing set up with multiple social zones, floating wildlife hides, walks with San Bushmen and more.
- Somalisa Camp in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park is a highlight for families on safari. Check out the photos below so you are in the know!
- Loldia House, Lake Naivasha is in a great location and on its own 6,000 ranch, guests can enjoy the various activities on offer in the area. Imagine as a family enjoying a delicious picnic lunch on Crescent Island, then walking up Mount Longonot? Lake Naivasha is famous for its flamingo population so it’s impressive safari going.
- Tanzania Northern Safari Circuit – this can be done with your family and a private vehicle and guide driving from place to place and you can see Lake Manyara, Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Crater and the famous Serengeti. It’s on our Wishlist for the Wilson family once the youngest turns 5
- Lake Malawi is a brilliant destination for families especially after a safari holiday in Zambia or Southern Africa. With wonderful sailing, beach front fun can be had.
Safari with Teens
- Teenagers are tricky… they will either love you for the shared experience or resent you for taking their time away from friends. And that’s only before they fly. Once actually in Africa things change and they come back realising just how lucky they are and how different the world is.
- Take away technology – you won’t have to because teenagers soon throw themselves into everything on offer.
- Mix up the moments – we love to combine beach or island time with safari life so the teenagers have the opportunity to catch up on sleep! They are not used to early morning rises usually.
Top Five Safari Properties for Teens
- Camp Kalahari, Botswana so the teens can head out on quad bikes, sleep out on the pans, walk with San bushmen and more
- Exclusive use mobile camping in Namibia has become a treat for many of our guests with teenagers. Private vehicle and guide, exclusive use tented accommodation in great locations like Damaraland and Sossusvlei. Desert elephant and rhino tracking, himba cultural interactions, dune hiking and more
- Jackalberry Treehouse, South Luangwa Zambia is a treat for anyone. Two bedrooms with lounge area up high in a tree that elephants come to eat from… it’s an outstanding safari moment
- Gorilla or chimpanzee trekking is a treat and available for teenagers from 15 / 16 depending where you go
- Boating safaris for teens makes for great fun and you’ll see their competitive streak if you go canoeing or kayaking