As of 01 December 2016 the Zambian Government introduced four new taxes which will affect the cost of airline tickets as well as certain Zambian ground handling services. These new taxes were introduced with no prior warning and include:-
• Passenger Safety Charge on flights
• Civil Aviation Authority ‘Safety & Navigation’ fee
• VAT on transportation of tourists not only to include road transfers but boats, aircraft and trains
• Cross Border Development Fee for all cross border transfers.
As this is a compulsory government tax increase, suppliers in Zambia are obliged to pass this on with immediate effect, and the tax increase will affect existing bookings as well as unconfirmed quotes. Your Encompass Africa specialist will come through on a per booking basis with the increase on your quote or final balance invoice.
The new Passenger Safety Charge (PSC), which is in addition to the standard airport tax, is now payable on international and domestic flights as outlined below (effective 01 December):
• On International flights the charge is US$10.00 which will be included in the cost of a ticket
• On domestic flights the charge is US$5.00 which will be included in the cost of a ticket
• It is a per sector charge but is only applied to connecting flights if the connection time is more than 12 hours. For example, if you are flying Livingstone (LVI) to Lusaka (LUN) to Lower Zambezi, you will only pay US$5.00 as the flight between Lusaka and Lower Zambezi is a connecting service. If you fly Livingstone to Lusaka, overnight in Lusaka and fly to Jeki or Lower Zambezi next day, you will be required to pay US$5.00 ex LVI and US$5.00 ex LUN
• Provisional bookings made before 01 December 2016 with fare already stored will be exempt even if ticketed after 01 December 2016. However, any name change or flight change to such provisional bookings will require a new fare quote and as such, the new tax will then apply
• Bookings ticketed before 01 December 2016 with flight changes made after 01 December 2016 will require a new fare quote and as such, the new tax will then apply. Please note this applies to all fare classes
• The PSC is applicable to National Airports ie. Lusaka, Livingstone, Mfuwe (which service the main tourist destinations) and not to airstrips such as Jeki or Royal in the Lower Zambezi.
Helicopter (Flight of Angels) and microlight flights are also affected as passengers will be required to pay US$6.00 to cover a Safety & Navigation fee. This extra charge will be collected directly from guests at the helipad. This cannot be pre-paid, both for existing and future bookings. A note to this effect will be added to all Encompass Africa quotes going forward.
On behalf of Encompass Africa we apologise for the inconvenience to those who have already booked and paid for their luxury Zambia Safari holidays with us. We will be in touch individually. Otherwise if you have any queries or wish to travel to Zambia please do give us a call or email (don’t let these fees stop you, it remains one of the most outstanding safari destinations on the African continent).
See for yourself the beauty of Zambia and then get in touch today! 1300 988 378 or [email protected]