South Africa is more than vast landscapes and the Big Five. For it is here you can explore an oasis of fresh, organic foods, internationally famous cuisine and some of the world’s best wines. Explore the lesser known South Africa Gourmet Trail with Encompass Africa.
In South Africa, everyone knows that Cape Town and indeed the Cape Winelands are famous for their cuisine, so we thought it about time to put a list together of some fantastic farmer’s markets in a number of great locations throughout South Africa that we share with many of our guests who are in search of the ultimate Gourmet Trail.
For us, a holiday in South Africa is about the culture and communities and there is no better starting point than food markets where you’ll explore the flavours, meet the personalities and laugh along the way!
Cape Town & surrounds
- Earth Fair Market , every Saturday 9am – 2.30pm & Wed 3pm – 8pm
- Wild Organic Market , fantastic deli style market open daily
- Porter Estate Produce Market , every Saturday 9am – 1pm
- Kwalapa Organic Foods Market, open daily – green living, good eating! It is not a public market, rather an Organic Wholefoods Deli, Store & Eco-Pod
- The Willowbridge Slow Market, every Saturday 9am – 2pm
- The Neighbourgoods Market, The Old Biscuit Mill, every Saturday 9am – 2pm
- Rosemary Hill Market, every Saturday & Sunday & public holiday this tea garden is open 9am to 2pm serving organic breakfasts, morning and afternoon teas.
- Hazel Food Market every Saturday 8am to 2pm
- Bryanston Organic Market, Thursdays & Saturdays 9am – 3pm
- Citrusdal Farmer’s market, 2nd and last Saturday of each month
- Stellenbosch Slow foods markets, Saturdays 9am – 2pm
The Garden Route
- Timberlake Farm Stall, an organic farm village focusing on organic food open Monday – Sunday 9am – 5pm
- Wild Oats Community Farmers Market, every Saturday
Pleased you asked… for us, nothing beats the Wild Oats, a community farmer’s market in the heart of the Garden Route. It is a multiple award winning market located on the outskirts of the tiny coastal town of Sedgefield (another hidden gem where we spend many family holidays!) adjacent to the lovely Swartvlei lake-lagoon. The market is celebrating its 10th year and this small, rustic but internationally famous farmer’s market should be on your agenda if you’re exploring the Garden Route. It is open every Saturday throughout the year from 07h30 – 11h30 in Summer and 08h00 – 12noon in Winter.
Why is this one our favourite?
It could have something to do with our family holidays in South Africa at the beach, always with family, friends, good food and wine. It may also be linked to our environmental awareness! These markets as we discovered early on, not only ensure all stall holders have good environmental practises but helps teach people who visit the market (without preaching) how they can minimise their carbon footprints… it all starts by simply choosing to buy local and eat fresh! Obvious really to many of us… but it’s a fantastic, flavoursome message when washed down with a fresh piece of mango or an oh so sugar-rich koeksister.
Tailormade South Africa Food Route
We have started designing many fantastic holidays for clients interested in the food and wine side of South Africa in addition to its big skys, open plains, mountains and of course wildlife! There are private cooking lesson dinners with top personality chefs for groups or couples, outstanding restaurants, markets and cafes plus cooking schools in remote and breathtakingly beautiful locations.