We love photographic safaris and sometimes, guests don’t want long periods with photographers but intensive workshops over a few days.
Introducing Mark Gee, international award winning photographer and his Art of Day and Night Africa Photography Tours. Check out his website here [Mark Gee]
- Day 1 – Introduction and meet and greet before heading out on our first full day game drive for wildlife photography. Picnic lunch provided out on the drive. Meet back at the camp late afternoon before heading to a sundowner, where we will talk about the night’s proceedings.
- Night 1 – After dinner we will meet up, go over some of the fundamentals of night/astrophotography, and head out on a night game drive* with our cameras to practice.
- Day 2 – Morning Q&A and processing session. After lunch we will head out on an afternoon game drive for wildlife photography.
- Night 2 – After dinner we will meet up, go over some of the techniques we learnt the previous night with a Q&A session, and then head out on our final night game drive with our cameras.
*The night photography sessions are weather dependant, but alternative activities will be held if the weather doesn’t give us the opportunity to head out.
DATES & LOCATIONS
Mara Bushtops: 18/19 August & 20/21 August 2017
Serengeti Bushtops: 23/24 August & 25/26 August 2017
The Masai Mara and Serengeti are two of East Africa’s finest wilderness areas abundant with resident wildlife and of course the great migration at different times of year. Here, the landscapes are endless, wildlife rich and starry night skies incredible all because of the remoteness, absence of light pollution as we know it and of course luxury accommodation to top it off. By day focus on landscapes and wildlife, by night it’s all about wildlife and astrophotography.
The workshop alone is US$650 per person on top of the accommodation. We’re working on a 3 night package so you can have either the night before or after the workshop allowing you the opportunity to really immerse in these stunning wilderness areas.
EXPECT TO LEARN
Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned pro, Mark will cater to your needs. He goes with you on all of the game drives and night shoots, guiding you each and every step of the way. From the basics with equipment use, settings and techniques to the more advanced. Mark will also teach you how to process images with a very practical and helpful step by step guide in Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop.
WHAT DO I NEED
- A digital DSLR or a mirrorless camera
- basic knowledge of operating the camera and changing settings
- For wildlife photography – a zoom lens is recommended in the 70-200mm range. The longer the focal length the better
- For astrophotography – lenses with a maximum aperture between f/1.4 and f/4 and a focal length between 10 and 24mm are ideal. For example – a 14mm f/2.8 lens is perfect, a zoom lens with a minimum focal length of 24mm at f/4 would be acceptable too
- A reliable and sturdy tripod. Keep in mind weight restrictions on light aircrcaft though so don’t get a massive one that’s clunky
- A laptop computer that already has Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop installed on it
- A headlamp or torch – one with a red light mode is ideal
- Spare camera batteries and memory cards – from personal experience you can never have too much back up
- Lastly, we recommend taking a portable mini external hard drive for additional space – reason being is you shoot in raw form and that uses loads of data, especially if you use the time lapse features!
If this fascinates you, get in touch because places are strictly limited. 1300 988 378 or email [email protected]
Check out our favourite photo of Mark’s here – Maasai Nights.