We are always asked about packing tips for safari holidays, particularly by our guests who have light aircraft flights that immediately dictate limited luggage capacities due to aviation regulations (15 kilograms total in soft sided bags !)
So here are ten tips that may help to reduce your safari holiday packing anxiety –
- Always take 1 – 2 kilograms less than your allowance because you’re sure to pick things up along the way
- Laundry is included at many safari properties which means you don’t have to take too much of anything
- Layer like an onion to keep warm rather than taking big heavy coats or jackets that are bulky to pack
- Neutral colours are best on safari so you blend in plus you can easily mix and match
- Camps and lodges provide soap, shampoo and conditioners along with mosquito repellent and sometimes even sunscreen. We always take a ziplock bag with safari essentials – sunscreen, insect repellent, lip balm and rehydration salts if you are travelling in summer
- Rolling clothes gives you more space in the bag and we use ziplock bags to separate items for ease. For example one large bag with underwear, one with shirts and another with trousers and shorts.
- Take a waterproof bag for dirty laundry or wet swim suits
- You don’t have to rush out and buy a safari wardrobe – look at what you have already and the basics may be there like singlets, shorts, shirts. Then simply supplement with a few items.
- For ladies, tights come in handy and overshirts for transit days, or if mosquitos are bad. You can use them both in the layering system too if it’s cold.
- For men and women, light weight, quick dry long trousers that zip off to shorts come in handy.
As you can see, it’s nothing revolutionary, but certainly should help you overcome any anxiety about safari holiday packing! We have packing lists on our online safari concierge, which is available to you once you have booked.
Stay tuned as we bring more helpful hints over the summer.