We often get asked by our clients what to pack for their African Safari holiday. It all depends on the trip we have tailor-made just for you, however there are some certainties so this article may help. We also provide our clients a luxury travel pack complete with packing list, itineraries, tickets, vouchers, maps, country information and so much more!
Congratulations on booking an African Safari holiday with Encompass Africa!
In our opinion an African Safari holiday is the ultimate journey of discovery and adventure.
We often get asked what to pack. It all depends on your individual tailor-made itinerary we have created for you or the type of safari experience you’re after. More than likely, your African safari travel will involve small aircraft flights into regional areas or charter flights into remotely located camps and lodges (that’s if you are lucky enough to be going on a fly-in safari).
It is always best to pack less and travel light because on most small aircraft, the luggage limit is 12kg – 15kg per person. You can also able to carry one standard piece of hand luggage that weighs no more than 5kg.
When it comes to choosing a bag, we highly recommend a completely soft sided duffel bag. Many people try to take soft bags with wheels or a hard base. These bags are not suitable as they do not collapse sufficiently, making them too large to fit into small aircraft storage. This often results in guests having to purchase a new bag at the airport and pay for storage for their original bag.
To avoid this frustration:
1) Use a soft sided duffel bag like the Eagle Creek one in the image above
2) pack less
3) utilise laundry services offered at most lodgs and camps
Once your bag is sorted, it is time to plan what goes inside.
QUICK PACK LIST
• light cotton trousers and shorts
• light cotton shirts long and short sleeved
• comfortable walking shoes and lightweight sandals or thongs
• shower-proof rain jacket/windbreaker
• fleece light weight for summer, thicker for winter
• sun glasses, wide brimmed hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
• small torch, camera and binoculars, extra batteries or charger and adaptor (don’t rely on camps to provide this!)
• bathing suit and sarong for the ladies
EXTRA PACKING TIPS
• We take small envelopes and use them to slip in a tip for the guides and staff at the end of each stay
• Zip lock plastic bags are ideal for protecting anything from books and jewellery to medicines and toiletries
• Medication should be well labeled and a complete list of all medicine you are carrying often helps should you be asked at border crossings and airport terminals
• Lightweight small items that can be donated to village schools. Remember to hand these items to the coordinator, teacher or principal rather than individual children!
We hope this information helps you pack for your African Safari trip.